A Neurosurgeon’s Advice for Back Pain Sufferers

There are so many specialists and doctors who treat back pain, that it may seem a little odd if a neurosurgeon were to offer his advice on the subject. However, Dr. Joseph Arguelles, a neurosurgeon on the staff of CVPH Medical Center, says that back pain is one of the most common complaints from his patients right behind headaches. In fact, Arguelles provides very valuable advice to get pain-free that may help you today.

Dr. Arguelles starts off by saying that back pain is the greatest cause of job-related disability. He says, “It’s the most common reason people lose days at work”. If you have suffered from temporary or chronic back pain, you can relate with this statement. When your back is in pain, all you want to do is rest it out.

Before you hit the haysack for a week, know that Dr. Arguelles rules out long-term bed rest. He says, “A person with acute back pain should begin moderate, non-strenuous activities, such as short walks and stretching.” He also explains that back pain is caused by inflammation, therefore that inflammation needs to be dealt with for the pain to go away. You can decrease the inflammation of the joints by alternating ice packs with heat packs on the area in pain. Also, taking Motrin or Aleve will help bring down the inflammation. Dr. Arguelles says that the problem with people taking these over the counter pain relievers is that they do not give them enough time to work. Since they are over the counter pain medications, they won’t take away pain as quickly, but with prolonged use, as in a few days, they will reduce inflammation.

Basically, the doctor suggests staying on top of managing your pain while “working closely with therapists to improve posture as a weapon against back pain”. This can include physical therapists, chiropractors, masseuses, and acupuncturists.

Story Credit

This article is made available for general, entertainment and educational purposes only. The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of The Joint Corp (or its franchisees and affiliates). You should always seek the advice of a licensed healthcare professional.