We all joke that with each year of life comes a new pain. “The price of getting old,” we laugh. The truth is that any pain, especially back pain hurts and is very frustrating. Not only are you physically suffering, but mentally, it is hard to feel older and not like your usual self. There are so many causes behind back pain, you may be surprised that the number of candles on your birthday cake has nothing to do with it. These questions may help you discover the hidden cause of your back issues:
- Do you carry a heavy bag or purse?
- Have you started a new exercise routine?
- Are your shoes too flat? Too high? Or too old?
- How old is your mattress?
- Where do you sit the most? Does it offer enough support?
- How is your posture?
- Did you lift something heavy?
- Did you gain any weight?
- Did you just have a baby?
A yes to any of these points could be the cause for your pain. Try these easy solutions to see if the pain eases up. Many times people find that they have to revamp their lifestyle completely to get 100% relief. Talk with your doctor about your back problems and ask if these solutions are a good match for you.
- Carry bags and purses that are 10% or less than your overall body weight. If you have a lot to carry, such as work or schoolwork, consider investing in a bag with wheels.
- Exercise is very important to an overall healthy lifestyle. However, overdoing it can lead to pain. Talk with your doctor or a physical therapist about modifying exercises to fit you. Also, learn stretches and moves that will help your back.
- Check out your shoes. Whether you are a fashionista or someone who loves wearing the same shoe every day, your shoes can be the source of the problem. Find shoes that give your arch ample support and use insoles. Many shoes do have limited mileage, especially tennis shoes and running shoes, so be sure to invest in a new pair every year.
- Your back problems could be coming to you when you are in dreamland. If your mattress is older than eight years, it is time to get a new one. If you can see your outline in the mattress, it is time to give it a good flip. Temperpedic-type mattresses are a good investment in the long run.
- If you spend most of your day sitting, evaluate the chair you sit in. It shouldn’t be too hard or too soft. It is also important to get up and move around frequently.
- Remember to have good posture. It does make a big difference.
- Before you lift something heavy or do a strenuous exercise, take a few minutes to stretch out the back. If you are moving several items, it may be wise to wear a back brace for the day.
- No one likes to admit that they have gained weight, but the extra pounds could be to blame. Ask your doctor for advice on how to shed the pounds in a safe and health matter.
- Pregnancy and birth can change a woman’s body radically. It is normal to have back pain throughout pregnancy as the hips widen and after pregnancy as everything starts to go back into place. A chiropractor is your best bet in quick pain relief.
Pain has many causes but can often times be fixed with a lifestyle change and a trip to the chiropractor. Don’t live with the pain; instead figure out the source and do something about it.
This article is made available for general, entertainment and educational purposes only. The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of The Joint Corp (or its franchisees and affiliates). You should always seek the advice of a licensed healthcare professional.